I’ve just been looking at the blog/webpage of Bob Stilger “Healthy and Resilient Communities“. His focus is on resilient communities, community leadership and hosting conversations that matter. His blog has some very practical reflections about the successes and challenges of his work, there are examples of agendas, and interesting stories. There are also a variety of other resources that might be helpful. One of the strengths of his blog is that much of his work is with non-Western communities.
He has worked for around 10 years at The Berkana Institute (another interesting organisation and website) where they developed some principles that guide his work:
- Every community is filled with leaders
- Whatever the problem, community itself has the answers
- We don’t have to wait for anyone. We have many resources with which to make things better now
- We need a clear sense of direction AND we need to know the elegant, minimum next step
- We proceed one step at a time, making the path by walking it
- Local work evolves to create transformative social change when connected to similar work around the world.